Welcome

Welcome to my blog ...thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Poetic Shouting

Hi friends,

I've finally finished my great-aunt Bush's quilt! She was recently placed in hospice care, so I wanted to send her something cozy to cuddle with.

I settled on a Poetica fat quarter bundle in rose ballad from Hawthorne Threads and got to work. This actually took me a full 2 weeks! I do have to account for summer - the kiddos are home and demand entertainment AND my A/C was broken for 3 days .. the hottest 3 days in PA this year of course. I had some Kona Champagne for the sashing and I found a hot pink in my stash as well. The drama happened when I was finishing up the quilting and noticed that the white part of my sewing machine was tinted hot pink. Yikes! I pre-washed the *&)* fabric and it still stained my machine. I hesitated to wash the quilt when it was finished for fear of bleeding, but I'd recently read a blog that mentioned this product...
Shout Color Catcher, 24 Count  (Pack of 12)
I threw 3 sheets in the wash, said a little prayer, crossed my fingers (for good measure) and guess what?
It didn't bleed! I'm a believer - thanks SHOUT!

Poetic Shouting finished at about 68"x90" with 12.5" blocks.

pieced back
close up of backing fabric



close up


Have you ever had a completed quilt ruined with color bleeding? What was your solution?

6 comments:

  1. My friend had the same experience just last week. She ended up washing the quilt with vinegar and some colour catchers. The colour catchers turned a lovely shade of pink and nothing on the quilt.
    Great Product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vinegar???? I'll be putting that in my bag o' tricks too - thanks!! My color catchers were barely tinged pinkish, so I may have been worried for nothing, but the story is more exciting my way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Poetic Shouting, the back is just as pretty as the front! For some reason I just love the way a quilt looks after it's washed.

    A friend of mine had some red bleed onto the bg of a Baltimore Album block - she placed a wet color catcher on the spot and it lifted the red beautifully. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I wish I'd known that after I ruined my nephew's quilt last year! I sent it to him anyway and dared his parents not to use it :-0 .. that reminds me, I gotta get his replacement done..
      Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt. I love the way you pieced the back and your cute little label. I am going to put the Shout color catchers on my list.

    ReplyDelete

  5. RR
    The Great Icescape เป็นเกมน้องใหม่สุดน่ารักของค่าย PG SLOT ที่จะพาคุณผจญภัยไปกับนกเพนกวินน้อยที่น่ารัก
    มีระบบการเล่นแบบ “หมุนวงล้อ” การหมุนแต่ละครั้งหากมีชุดสัญลักษณ์ที่เหมือนกันอย่างน้อยหนึ่งสัญลักษณ์เรียงติดต่อกัน
    เกมจะหมุนซ้ำอีกเรื่อย ๆ จนกว่าจะไม่มีสัญลักษณ์ที่เหมือนกันปรากฏอีก
    สล็อตPG
    สล็อตPG

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! Sure beats talkin' to myself! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...